Fashion Industry is much more than the glamour associated with it. There’s an operational side of it that encompasses knowledge of how the fashion industry actually works including an understanding of managing business, marketing, brand building, sales, inventory management, purchase, merchandising, building a trademark, establishing advertising campaigns, retailing, creating brand loyalty etc. Basically activities responsible for getting in revenues in Fashion industry are the prerogative of a Fashion Manager. Fashion management aspirant needs to display strong business skills as well as technical expertise. He is equipped with the competencies to identify micro and macro trends in the fashion industry and accordingly formulate innovative strategies so as to enhance brand positioning as well as revenues in the industry. He researches and analysis customers, their demographics & psychographic profiles, their preferences, socio-cultural factors that governs the buying behaviour, market & fashion trends and economic conditions etc. to come up with product, pricing, marketing, segmentation, retailing, merchandising & distribution strategy. Additionally, he needs to predict what will not sell and what will increase walkins, in short strategizing to bring in profits.
In order to be a success in fashion management, you must:
- Display Entrepreneurial vision: In order to succeed, you must have a clear & definite vision as to what you want your company to achieve. What the brand must stand for? What must the company be valued for? What segment will company target? The clear vision will form a road map and will guide the employees down the path to success.
- Nurture Leadership skills: Your problem solving capabilities will place you on a pedestal vis-e-vis other colleagues. You are seen as a person who they can approach to overcome their roadblocks.
- Focus on the business: In order for your fashion house to succeed, you must concentrate on its economic side- handling business, creating a trademark, brand building, Marketing & sales, purchase, inventory management, merchandising, establishing advertising campaigns, retailing etc. This will facilitate income and help you keep afloat.
- Choose a specialization: Do not risk being a jack of all trades. You must choose area of specialization as per your expertise as well as passion. This will ensure your success such that you will be known by your skills.
- Communication & Networking: Communication and networking will ensure contacts that will help you in your professional development. You will be able to collaborate with teams from multiple departments, interact and get the best deals from vendors and repeat business from clients.
- Sync with latest fashion trends: The evolving preferences of people, changing socio cultural factors as well as economic scenario are catalyst in ever changing fashion world. Every season demands fresh fashion. In order to stay relevant in the market, you need to keep abreast with the fashion trends across the world, learn new skills, seek global perspective have knowledge about new technology as well as materials, understand your customer and must be able to predict the kind of designs that will generate the necessary income.
Fashion management courses
In order to succeed in fashion management, you must develop your skills with fashion management course. The college you choose must offer:
- The college must assist in attractive portfolio development through working on case studies, participating in competitions, as well as managing live projects.
- The college must ensure relevant exposure to students through student exchange program, internships, and interaction with industry experts.
- The college ensures access to AI and machine learning besides competencies in marketing tools.
- The college must make sure that the students hone essential life skills,